This morning in church, as we were waiting to go up for communion, William said in his sweet little voice, "I want the bread! I want the bread!"
Scott and I both kind of looked at each other and shrugged thinking that he probably just wanted whatever we had. In the Episcopal church there is no real set time when a child can start receiving communion. The official stance is that all baptized Christians are welcome to receive. The answer we've been given by multiple priests is that it is up to us to determine when the child is ready. For us, we wanted our boys to know what it meant to receive communion and not to think it was just a snack in church.
"Do you know what the bread is?" I asked William.
"God!" he quickly replied.
Well that was good enough for us! We walked up to the altar rail. William stood next to me while I knelt. He knew exactly what to do and put his little hands together. William received his first communion today! And you should have seen his face! He was so excited and pleased! We should all experience that joy and excitement every time we're at the Lord's table!
November 13 UPDATE:
Today at church William was bouncing around in the pew, then looked up at me and said, "When we go up there, can I have some God?"
Oh yes you can, William!
No comments:
Post a Comment